10 Reasons Why You Should Use Solar Lights in Your House
September 27, 2018
Solar lights are Sunlight powered lights. In a layman’s word, solar lights use light from the Sun, which is then converted into electrical power that fuels the solar lights. Today, major economies like India, Russia, USA and China have become the torch bearers of the Green revolution as they are pushing for Solar energy optimization.
Unfortunately, even today, the perception of Solar energy has not changed much. People are still unsure about the efficiency of solar lights. The initial installation costs of solar panels is still a sour point which discourages many from using solar-powered equipment in the house. However, little changes can usher the bigger changes. Using solar powered lights around the house is that small step which will probably go a long in convincingly making a mark for conversion to solar energy.
At this point in time, it is probably best to take stock of some of the benefits that using solar lights.
1. Eco-Friendly: The need for green energy is the need of the environment. With fossil fuels emitting smoke and releasing pollutants into the environment, alternatives were being explored and researched for Solar energy to replace the everyday usage of fuel power electricity. Solar lights work on the Solar energy which ultimately is eco-friendly.
2. Lowers Power Consumption Bills: Solar power for the house is generated by the solar panels, mounted on the terrace or the ground. The electricity meant for consumption is, therefore, generated locally and used. Since there is no transit for electricity to travel from a grid to the place of utilization, the bills generated for solar-powered electrical appliances, like solar lights are minimal. With these lights at home, you need not worry about your bills shooting up.
3. Net Metering: This is a facility that makes using solar lights and other solar-powered equipment profitable. A government initiative, net metering is aimed at encouraging solar power usage by giving credits for surplus solar power. A part of the extra power is stored in the batteries and the rest is sent back to the grid which lowers the solar power bills immediately. The stored power is enough to light up all the solar lights in the house the night through.
4. Reduces Carbon Footprints: Lights are the most used electrical appliances in the households. When powered by non-renewable energy, it leaves carbon footprints all over. Available statistics state that of the total carbon footprints in the environment 17% is contributed by lights alone. It is can only be deduced now as to how much carbon footprints can be reduced if the world chooses to opt for solar light.
5. Safer: An electric bulb or light needs to be handled with care. With electrical appliances, the fear of being electrocuted or of experiencing electric shocks is inevitable. With a solar light, this aspect of fear is negated. However, it must be clearly understood that solar panels are not safe to be touched when the Sun is still shining or they are wet.
6. Aesthetically Appealing: Solar lights come in various shapes and sizes. Softer solar lights for decoration are appealing. However, most of the indoor solar lights use LED or fluorescent lights. Unless one is sensitive and have issues with fluorescent lights, these are absolutely usable indoors.
7. Solar Tube Lights: One of the options for indoor solar lighting is the tube lights. Flexible and small, these lights can be fixed up in the corners where the brighter lights meant for the whole room cannot reach.
8. Portable Lamps: Meant for indoor use, portable solar lamps are easy to carry. Mostly used as emergency lamps, these lights are bright and lasts long.
9. Independent of the Main Power Source: Electrical lights are source dependent. A power means a blackout for as many hours as the power supply does not come back on. With solar power lights, power cuts do not matter. Once the Sun goes down, solar lights operate on the stored solar energy, drawing it out from the batteries.
10. Easy Installation: Indoor solar lights come with inbuilt batteries and no wires. Hence these can be self-installed. The only care to be taken is that the installation is done at a place where the light receives a good amount of sunlight so that the batteries may self-charge.
Conclusion: Solar energy is still being explored and newer avenues are being researched on. Indoor solar lighting, as of now, has a good standing in the market, mostly for decor. Though there are bright solar lights too, all of them are fluorescent incandescent. This becomes a problem for the ones who are sensitive to too much brightness. Like the outdoor lighting, indoor lighting still has some time to reach its peak. However, the benefits of solar lighting have surely made its mark and have become undeniable towards saving the environment today.